This kale fruit and nut salad will change your world! It has literally turned people from kale haters to kale believers, and I even had it served at my wedding.
Yes, I had this very kale fruit and nut salad featured at my wedding. So many people commented to me in the weeks and months following the big day about how much they loved the salad and didn’t think they liked kale before. Serving a healthy option that everyone loved at my wedding: check!
Loaded with four healthy tasty toppings, I have yet to find someone who doesn’t like it. This salad is easy enough to throw together anytime of the week and also delicious enough for a party. Kale nay-sayers give this one a try!
While this salad may seem like a “hodgepodge” of fruits, nuts and veggies, they all blend together nicely and provide tons of nutrients. Edamame and pecans pack in some protein while the blueberries and apples add sweetness. This salad is a hearty lunch or side with dinner. The dressing and apples add a nice zing of sweetness that are refreshing.
Champagne vinaigrette is the best pair for this salad. Trader Joes has a tasty one, with gorgonzola but any vinaigrette will do. Over the years I’ve tried a variety of dressings, cranberry vinaigrette, fig balsamic, regular balsamic. As long as it’s a dressing with vinegar and oil it will help soften the leaves (I don’t recommend things like ranch or thousand island).
How to Use Kale
The key to a good kale salad it how you prepare the greens. Add kale to a large bowl (removing stems). Add dressing and massage the leaves so they soften. I put on gloves and use my hands. Or make sure to stir thoroughly if you don’t use your hands. This allows the leaves to soften and takes the bitterness out of the leaves. Let sit for about 10 minutes and you are ready to serve.
Add it all up and it’s about $13 to make this salad. This is a HUGE salad, not just a personal size, so take that into consideration. Most of the cost is in the dressing ($3.99), which you could make yourself or try your own favorite, just make sure it’s vinaigrette of some kind. Also, there will be leftover edamame, blueberries and pecans that you can use for snacks! Kale is aroond $2.99 for a bag or bushel. Shelled edamame
Kale Fruit & Nut Salad Recipe
- 1 Cup Blueberries (frozen, then thawed)
- 1 Cup Edamame (shelled, frozen then thawed)
- 1 Gala Apple (diced)
- ¾ Cup Pecans (halved or chopped)
- 4-5 Cups Kale (washed, chopped, stems removed)
- 5-6 Ounces Champagne Pear Vinaigrette Dressing (or dressing of your choice)
- Wash and dry kale, removing stems. Add to a large bowl, with room for toppings. Add dressing and massage the leaves so they soften (use your hands!!). De-thaw blueberries and edamame. Add all toppings to the bowl, reserving pecans if not serving right away. Stir all ingredients and let marinade for about 10 minutes before serving. Add pecans just before serving.
Get your greens for the day and be well, chomping on this recipe! Food is energy.
Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments.