Why Sweet Potatoes?
Sweet potatoes have more flavor than a regular white potato in my personal opinion. Mixed with the earthy flavors of the beans and chili powder the the sweet potato blends and brings a brightness to the dish. Even though they are sweet, they are loaded with magnesium which can help manage blood sugar, blood pressure and metabolism. Vitamin A is high in sweet potatoes, which has antioxidants and can help reduce inflammation.
Ingredients From Your Pantry
Another thing I love about this recipe is it’s cheap! All the ingredients are common pantry staples. Black beans, kidney beans and chopped tomatoes are all from a can and cost under a dollar. I also keep sweet potatoes on hand at the house because they keep for at least two weeks on average. Onions fall under the same category. The garnishes are optional and may be the area you skimp. Avocados in season are usually $1 each. You could also substitute water for vegetable broth. Think about if you made a traditional chili – how much would you spend on the beef/turkey? Eating vegetarian can be affordable. In total this recipe costs around $8 (not counting spices and oil). Food for fuel and its penny-wise!
Enjoy and let food be your energy!
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes, peeled and chopped to approximately ½ inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2½ Cups Vegetable Broth (low sodium)
- 28 ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 15.5 ounce Can Light Kidney Beans
- 15.5 ounce Can Black Beans
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- ¼ tsp. Cayenne Powder
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder (more if desired)
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- Garnish with parsley, avocado and cheddar cheese (non-vegan option).
- Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel and chop sweet potatoes into small pieces and place on a baking pan. Drizzle 1 Tbsp. EVOO onto potatoes. Place in oven for 15-20 minutes. (I suggest baking the sweet potatoes first to speed up the process. If you have time you can throw in the pot with all other ingredients and let simmer for 90 minutes to cook the sweet potatoes.)
- While the potatoes cook, in a large pot, add vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, cayenne powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer. In a medium size saucepan add 1 Tbsp. olive oil and chopped onions. Sautee for 10-15 minutes and add to large pot. When potatoes are done baking in the oven, add to the large pot. Stir and let simmer for 10-15 minutes and serve. Add garnish/toppings as desired.